Monday, July 23, 2012

Horological Machines at Zeta Bar

Maximilian Büsser’s visit to Australia was already creating a sensation even before he arrived. I was lucky enough to be the first one to see him after his flight from Perth. I met him at the Swissotel and we decided to go for a quiet drink to Zeta Bar.

I’m always amazed by the fact that time flies so quickly when you are in great company. Max talked about his passions and the current state of the watch industry which reinforced some of my concerns and my instinctive drive to move more to the independent watch makers. It is they who still uphold the traditional values of haute horology.

MB&F is an ingenious business model as it allows each team member to perform of their best. That said the careful planning and orchestration needed to make each project a reality can be easily underestimated. Having only met Max once I can see how people would be eager to collaborate with someone that exudes so much excitement and creative design.

Legacy Machine N°1 has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.
This is a true three dimensional mechanical sculpture.
Kari Voutilainen’s influences are very apparent. Given that I’m a huge fan of Kari’s work there was no surprise that I love this watch.
The Moonmachine is my favourite of the HM3 series. Based on Stepan’s own face, the phase of the moon is displayed through a signature Korona-shaped aperture, while the mystery winding rotor takes the form of a 22k gold disc with laser-pierced stars forming constellations visible in the northern sky.
Max’s passion and vision cannot be denied and my sense is that we will see many more interesting surprises in the years ahead. I look forward to his next visit to Australia.

No comments: