Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Joining the Order of the Calatrava

Sometimes less IS more!
Most people start their Patek Philippe journey with a Calatrava, by chance it is now my 5th Patek.

An unexpected opportunity arose from one of my preferred secondhand dealers. I was walking past his shopfront last week and I saw a 5117J in the window. Now this is a discontinued model and a fellow Sydney watch collector has a white gold one. I have been an admirer of this piece, as it combines the classic hobnail bezel with the more modern robustness of a larger case. According to the Certificate of Origin the watch was produced in 2003. It came with all accessories and a great price.

It is powered by the 315 caliber and yes I have broken one of my cardinal rules of not doubling up on a Patek movement that is already in my collection. One thing I did notice, is that the font used on the movement is different to that on my 5035G which was produced in 1998.

First impressions are that the Hobnail bezel adds a nice sparkle to the watch and it truly is an 'understated classic'. My concerns about it being too classic have been alleviated as it is currently sporting a black strap. I have ordered a tobacco Patek strap with my AD and the look will change dramatically. The 315 mvt is very efficient and the accuracy is what one would expected from Patek.

Here are some pics.







Any comments welcome as well as any other experiences or comments on the 5117.

Thanks for stopping by for a look!!
Catch you soon.

No comments: