Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why my Hublot and Australia have so much in common.

This is not your average post to say the least LOL. When I purchased my All Black Classic Fusion I was aware that it is made from ceramic which uses Zirconium Oxide. I also understand that Australia mines mineral sands but after some further research I realised that one of our companies, Iluka is the largest producer of zircon in the world, with an approximate global market share of 34%.

With respect to the Big Bang Tantalum Matt, one of biggest success stories in Western Australia’s mining sector is in the sleepy South-West town of Greenbushes - and it doesn’t involve iron ore, gold or nickel. Talison Minerals’ tantalum and spodumene mine in Greenbushes, 250km south-east of Perth, was until very recently producing 50 % of the world’s tantalum and 80 % of the world’s lithium minerals. Tantalum is indeed a very rare element.

It would be a nice thought to think that some of the raw materials actually did come from Australia. Being born in Switzerland and now living in Australia makes this idea quite special – call it a type of fusion lol.

Now back to wearing my two Hublot.

No comments: